Aenugula, Sakthi Prasanth
Khan, Kamil A.
Luna Villagomez, Enrique
MacGregor, John F.
Madabhushi, Pranav Bhaswanth
Marlin, Thomas E.
Sarna, Samardeep Singh
Swartz, Chris L. E.
Supervised by Dr. Thomas Adams II
B. Eng. Mgmt, Chemical Engineering - McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
NSERC USRA position under the supervision of Dr. P. Mhaskar - McMaster University
Compressed Air Energy Storage Integration with a Zero-Carbon Emission Solid-Oxide Fuel Cell Power Plant
Solid-oxide fuel cells (SOFCs) are a promising new technology to produce efficient electrical power while capturing greenhouse gas emissions at a very low cost. However, current applicable SOFC technology is only able to provide base-load power, and therefore cannot be used to meet the typically peaking diurnal demand for power in a given market. On the other hand, the high temperatures and pressures of the SOFC design make it a strong candidate for the capture of its cathode exhaust stream (nearly pure nitrogen) for a compressed air energy storage (CAES) system.
A CAES system uses off-peak power to compress and store air in an underground facility, typically a salt dome or depleted natural gas reserve. The stored air is then preheated and expanded through power generation turbines in order to supply on-peak power. The objective of our research is to investigate the operational and economic feasibility of a combined CAES/SOFC system which can provide peaking power with zero greenhouse gas emissions.
- Nease, J., Adams, T. A. II BLACKOUT: Teaching Students about the Power Grid through Experiential Workshops and Video Gaming, Chemical Engineering Education,, 53 (3) 167-177 (2019)
- Nease, J., Monteiro, N., Adams, T. A. II Application of a two-level rolling horizon optimization scheme to a solid-oxide fuel cell and compressed air energy storage plant for the optimal supply of zero-emissions peaking power, Computers & Chemical Engineering,, 94 235-249 (2016) [ Publisher Version ]
- Nease, J., Adams, T. A. II Comparative life cycle analyses of bulk-scale coal-fueled solid oxide fuel cell power plants, Applied Energy,, 150 161-175 (2015) [ Publisher Version| Open Access Version (free) ]
- Nease, J., Adams, T. A. II Life cycle analyses of bulk-scale solid oxide fuel cell power plants, Can J Chem Eng,, 93 (8) 1349-1363 (2015) [ Publisher Version| Open Access Version (free) ]
- Nease, J., Adams, T. A. II Application of Rolling-Horizon Optimization of Integrated Solid-Oxide Fuel Cell and Compressed Air Energy Storage Plant for Zero-Emissions Peaking Power Under Uncertainty, Comp Chem Eng,, 64 203-219 (2014) [ Publisher Version ]
- Nease, J., Adams, T. A. II Coal-based systems for peaking power with 100% CO2 capture with solid oxide fuel cells and compressed air energy storage, J Power Sources,, 251 92-107 (2014) [ Publisher Version ]
- Adams, T. A. II, Nease, J., Tucker, David, Barton, Paul Energy conversion with solid oxide fuel cell systems: a review of concepts and outlooks for the short and long term, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research,, 52 3089–3111 (2013) [ Publisher Version ]
- Nease, J., Adams, T. A. II Systems for Peaking Power with 100% CO2 Capture by Integration of Solid Oxide Fuel Cells with Compressed Air Energy Storage, J Power Sources,, 228 281-293 (2013) [ Publisher Version ]
- Du, M., Nease, J., Mhaskar, P. An Integrated Fault Diagnosis and Safe-Parking Framework for Fault-Tolerant Control of Nonlinear Systems, Int. J. Rob. & Non. Contr.,, 22 105-122 (2012) [ Publisher Version ]
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Du M, Nease J, Mhaskar P. (2011) Integrated Fault Diagnosis and Robust Safe-Parking for Fault-Tolerant Control of Nonlinear Systems. Proceedings of the American Chemical Control Conference. San Francisco, California, USA. 804-809.
- Nease J, Adams TA II. Application of a multiple time-scale rolling horizon optimization technique for improved load-following of an integrated solid-oxide fuel cell/compressed air energy storage plant with zero emissions. Proceedings of the 26th European Symposium on Computer Aided Process Engineering. Portorož, Slovenia. Jun 2016. Accepted manuscript.
- Nease J, Adams TA II. (2013) Real-Time Optimization of Solid-Oxide Fuel Cells and Compressed Air Energy Storage for Peaking Power with Zero Emissions. Proceedings of the 63rd Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference. Fredericton, Canada.
- Nease J, Adams TA II. (2013) Peaking Power With 100% CO2 Capture Through the Integration of Solid-Oxide Fuel Cells, Compressed Air Energy Storage and Real Time Optimization. Proceedings of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA, USA.
- Nease J, Adams TA II. (2013) Real-Time Optimization of Solid-Oxide Fuel Cells and compressed Air Energy Storage for Peaking Power with Zero Emissions. Proceedings of the 2013 Canadian Statistics and Control Meeting. Kingston, Canada.
- Nease J, Adams TA II. (2012) Integration of Solid-Oxide Fuel Cells and Compressed Air Energy Storage for Peaking Power with Zero Carbon Emissions. Proceedings of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers Annual Meeting. Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- Nease J, Adams TA II. (2012) Solid-Oxide Fuel Cell and Compressed Air Energy Storage Integration to Provide Peaking Power with Zero Carbon Emissions. Proceedings of the 62nd Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference. Vancouver, Canada.